- Our Community
- News & Events
- Photo Gallery
Cell Phone: 732-232-1036
Father George Nikas was born on August 25, 1969, in Athens, Greece, to the late Rev. Protopresbyter Prokopios of blessed memory and Presvytera Golfo Nikas, also of Athens, Greece. Within a year’s time, Fr. George was brought to Schenectady, New York, where the family was living at the time.
Fr. George’s childhood consisted of being raised within a Christian and obviously Church-oriented environment. Born into a Priest’s family, Fr. George experienced a variety of social and educational challenges as the family was assigned to different communities along the East Coast.
As the call to serve Christ as one of His Priests intensified, Fr. George transferred from the University of Maryland at College Park, where he was majoring in Biology, to Hellenic College. He received his BA in Religious Studies in 1996 from Hellenic College with High Distinction. Fr. George then continued on to Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology where he received his Masters of Divinity degree in 1999.
Fr. George was fully active in the life of the Seminary and involved in many organizations: Teaching Assistant for Modern Greek, Student Representative to the Faculty, Student Government Representative, Class President, Disciplinary Representative, Student Activities Coordinator for the Office of Student Life. Father George also assisted in escorting the Senior Class in the summer of 1999 as they visited Athens, Thessaloniki, Mt. Athos, the Ecumenical Patriarchate and Milan as part of their annual trip.
Fr. George’s ministry has been characterized by others as loving, compassionate and human. He has placed special emphasis to ministering to our Youth while being easily accessible and loved by the older generations as well. Fr. George has improved the overall status of the Communities that he has served, advancing the spiritual and physical dimensions of each.
ORDINATION / OFFIKIA HISTORY
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate on September 14, 1999, at the Holy Cross Chapel in Brookline, MA, by His Grace Bishop George of New Jersey
Ordained to the Holy Priesthood on December 5, 1999, at the Metropolitan Cathedral of St. John the Theologian in Tenafly, NJ, by His Grace, Bishop Philotheos of Meloa
Elevated to the Office of Economos on December 4, 2003, at the Saint Barbara Greek Orthodox Church in Toms River, NJ, by His Eminence, Metropolitan Evangelos of New Jersey
Elevated to the Office of Archimandrite on March 24, 2004, at the Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ, by His Eminence, Metropolitan Evangelos of New Jersey
- Assistant Priest of the Metropolitan Cathedral of St. John the Theologian, Tenafly, NJ (November 1, 1999 – October 31, 2001)
- Proistamenos of St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, Toms River, NJ (November 1, 2001 to August 31, 2004)
- Youth Director of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey (September 1, 2004 to June 15, 2008)
- Chief Secretary of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey (September 1, 2004 to January 5, 2008)
- Chancellor of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey (January 6, 2008 to September 1, 2010)
- Interim Proistamenos of St. Anna Greek Orthodox Church, Flemington, NJ (September 1, 2004 to June 30, 2011)
- Proistamenos of Sts. Peter & Paul Greek Orthodox Church, Frederick, MD (July 1, 2011 to September 14, 2012)
- Proistamenos of St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, Union, NJ (September 15, 2012 to October. 14, 2013 )
- Proistamenos of Kimisis Tis Theotokou Church, Holmdel, NJ (October 15, 2013 to present )
Father George Nikas
20 Hillcrest Road
PO Box 367
Monday to Friday
11am - 3pm